Sunday, March 13, 2011

Jenny

Back when I was in fourth year, I was struck by the sheer number of people working in residence who were named Jenny (sheer number = 3). They were also all Asian and knew my friend Dave, which didn't help matters. Gradually, though, I began to associate certain general traits with each Jenny. There was this one particular Jenny who thought I was a don for the longest time - in fact, it wasn't until sometime in second semester that she found out that I wasn't. Since then, she has repeatedly insisted that I "misled" her into believing that I was a don in a fourth year. Really, all I did was eat with dons who also happened to be my friends but apparently, this counts as me having taken some active role in "misleading" Jenny into thinking I was a don.

Jenny is extraordinarily resilient. As much as I (and others) take advantage of this as an opportunity to make fun of her, I do admire the ability she has to take everything in stride. Basically, she's a good sport who's capable of laughing at her own mistakes. After all, it wouldn't be much fun to tease Jenny if we actually hurt her feelings. But as it stands, her resilience makes Jenny a lot of fun to be around and I feel like the universe would be just a little bit duller without her.

For all that, Jenny is capable of being a very caring individual, as evidenced by her two successful years as a don in residence. I think that that was something that first got me to notice Jenny as someone I could actually be friends with. She takes the time to ask you about how things are going and although I've never personally experienced this, I am very much convinced that if our conversation ever moved beyond casual bantering, Jenny would be a very sympathetic listener.

She dresses well too - another thing I noticed about her. Residence cafeteria is not usually a place where you wear your best clothes. Not only are you risking the possibility of spilling something on it, but there is also a smell that gets all your clothes, although admittedly, I might be the only person who is actually bothered by this. Still, Jenny makes the effort to dress nicely (it is, after all, a public space and there's no reason to look like a slob), which, for awhile, confused me a bit. I remember asking, "Are you going somewhere?" every time I saw her because she always looked dressed up. I soon realized that this was rarely the case. Still, it never hurts to dress nicely.

Jenny also has a dog named ABFP (Angel-Baby-Furball-Pie). Saying "Ab-fuh-puh" brings joy to many and even though Jenny refuses to acknowledge the acronym, I feel like I should attribute all the happiness we derive, from saying ABFP, to her.

No comments: